- A Charity has been created: The Friends of Wash Common Library
- A constitution has been agreed
- Local people are acting as trustees
- A management committee has been formed
- A list of 60+ supporters has been drawn up
- Talks have taken place with West Berks Council (WBC) and Newbury Town Council (NTC), in a bid to take over the library building
- An application to take over the building has been placed with WBC
- A promise of £5,000 has been received
- Acceptance on The Good Exchange fundraising platform
- Greenham Trust Price Match funding: For every £1 donated they will give £1 up to £5,000
- A logo competition was held over the summer
- A Facebook page has been created
Our efforts are beginning to pay off. A West Berkshire Council officer at the local council responded to our recent update with an encouraging response, saying, "Once you have a firm commitment from the residents we can continue to progress the proposals through the various internal committees and get it to an Executive Committee meeting for a decision. Perhaps moving the proposals forward early next year might be possible."
We are very pleased to be able to inform you that West Berkshire District Council Executive approved the transfer of the Lease of the Library building to Newbury Town Council, who in turn will lease the building to the Friends of Wash Common Library to enable us to run a Community Library.
As required by their financial regulations, Newbury Town Council is to consult the electorate on their proposal to take on a 5 year lease of the library building at Wash Common.
Details of the consultation can be found here.
The Council hopes that as many people as possible will respond by the closing date of 8 July
It would be wonderful if all of our Friends, could click on the link above and give your positive support to this. The consultation closes at midnight on Sunday 8th July.
The following materials have been sent to local media.
We are still looking for more volunteers to deliver leaflets, so please let us know if you can help.